Now that we are finally settling in here in Alabama I am back into the swing of things with my fitness journey. There was definitely a detour for a few weeks around the big move. I’m throwing myself right back into it though and nothing screams motivation to me like fun tools to use. Example: I’m a bit of a water bottle junkie. Every time I feel like I need a boost in motivation I buy a new water bottle. I’ve gone through a LOT. Also, I’ve shared before my love for the FitBook. It’s pretty awesome. So, anywho, here are a few of my fit faves, new and old.
– After being a water bottle junkie I finally ‘splurged’ and got a Camelback for derby and I heart it. Until I let Timmy use it and he bit through the straw part. So I bought a new, bigger, one! They aren’t any better than other styles but for my the bite straw works. Just don’t let the toddler drink out of it. And keep it clean.
– The blender bottle! We have 3 or 4 of the old style blender cups. The clear cups with the color lid and springy ball. And then magically Korea got THIS one! And Slam bought me one. And I bought one for Kassie. It’s a gym buddy blender bottle gift giving month. There isn’t much difference at all in how this one works but it’s pretty! So so pretty. Love it.
– Whey protein. This is the area that I am NOT a pro in. I’m sure there are better options but the Optimum Nutrition brand seemed pretty good to me in the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor. Low carbs/sugar and no sucralose which tastes so gross to me. I have heard a lot of great things about MRM protein as well. Either way, in a nutshell, protein powder is my BFF. I add it to smoothies, oatmeal, baking, or just alone with water if I need it fast (adding a spoonful of PB2 helps make it even tastier).
– My heart rate monitor/calorie counter is one of my favorite things. I got it the Christmas before last and I loooove it. Mine has a chest strap that sends my heart rate to the watch. I know it can do so much more but all I do (know how to do) is set it to read how long my workout was, HR, and total calories burned. I love wearing it because the reading it gives me is always so much higher than the estimated calorie burn on websites like My Fitness Pal and Fat Secret. Which makes me feel better!
– Lifting gloves. I go through phases with these. Sometimes I don’t wear them (usually because I forget or have misplaced them…) but I really do love them. And I blinged them out! I know callouses are like little weight lifting trophies but having soft hands when they are already huge man hands AND feeling a little less gross and scuzzy when Im already nasty at the gym means a lot.
– My books! The New Rules for Women started it all. I knew nothing about weights or why I should even care about lifting heavy. I ran a lot and did the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (which IS an awesome workout) with 3lb weights. I am so in love with the gym now because of that book. No more chugging away on the elliptical feeling totally inferior and out of my element. So, since it was amazing I moved on to the Abs book which Ive done a little of. Also, the Sculpting Bible was a gift from a friend before she moved. I’m currently doing the 14 day sculpting program from that book before moving back over to NROL Abs. It’s pretty intense and most workouts can be done at home with dumbbells!
And folks, that’s some of the things I’m working with now. What do you use? Anything I really need to try out?