Im back! I survived the crazy long weekend that I had been building up to. One of those nights included a costume party.
We…er…*I*…decided we’d be Ninja Turtles.
I started out on Pinterest and found this costume:
I liked the way they did their shells with foil turkey pans. So I copied it.
They used paper mache to make them easier to paint. So I did too…only I must have missed something, like wrapping it around the bottom of the pan, because once it dried the new paper shell just lifted right off. I ended up using green duct tape around the edges to hold it onto the pan before painting.
I found a super cool TMNT hat tutorial HERE. But Im in Korea and last minute fleece anywhere close isn’t an option. Last minute meaning no time to order online and have it shipped in time.
So on to play B… I was going to crochet some super cool ones like the hats I saw with masks attached on Etsy.
Only I’ve never crocheted a hat in my life 😐
Thankfully my friend, Tia, has and was there to link me to 100 different Youtube videos until I finally understood enough to get it done.
As for masks, they were not attached. And they werent the same. I found a pattern but didn’t like it so I just used it as a baseline to figure out what I was doing.
For our bodies I was super stressed about finding green clothes. I ended up getting a shirt and shorts for T but couldnt find pants or tights that would do. Then I was linked to a “How to dye tights with food coloring” tutorial. I ended up buying a pair of longjohn pants and decided to dye them like an Easter egg with vinegar and food coloring.
The color didn’t really take the first time. The second go round was a leeeettle better. I didn’t rinse them and stuck them straight in a hot dryer hoping to somewhat set it. Worked enough for a one night deal.
I got super classy with our front shells and taped together flaps from a Target box then gave us some duct tape abs/shell parts. Then painted it all brown.
My favorite part of the costume was T’s weapon. I made it with a hanger and tape. Too bad I forgot what they looked like and made the sides too long. He came home and fixed it though after I took this picture so it was more authentic 😉
Mine was a $3 witch broom. I took off the bottom part and taped around the middle. Voila.
Finally the finished product!
Our knee/arm bands/belts are pillow cases. It was the only brown fabric I had in the house so they had to go for the good of our costumes.
We were totally awesome and I felt special that I made our hats/masks. And our shells were cool. A+ for us!